Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Parakeet Toys and Hand Taming

I remember when I bought my first pair of Parakeets. I bought the pair of colorful birds and a cage. I thought being a first time bird owner, these Parakeets would be happy with an empty cage, seeds and a good home. Well maybe they wouldn't unhappy, but I decided a few days after buying these feathered pets, to go and see what type of toys they had for cages and wow was I suprised. I ended up buying a mirror for my new pets and the reaction I got by adding this mirror was great. These little birds love to look at their selves in the mirror. As I mention in an earlier post, I have 5 parakeets now and 3 cages. I have a bird a piece in 2 of the cages and 3 birds in the other cage. I have spent some money buying them toys to play with when I'm not around them. They each have mirrors, rope perches, bell toys, hanging balls, hanging treats, but over all there favorite toy is the mirror.

A great treats these birds love is millet spray, which isn't very expensive, and it makes it easier to get your new Parakeet to trust you. The way I got my birds to trust me, was I set the back of the cage as close to a wall as possible, and would take my hand and touched the side of the cage. They might run, or go crazy when you do this, but it's because they are scared. Also when you are giving them seeds and water, take your hand palm up and set it on the top perch near them. You have to be patient, taming your new Parakeet can take a while. Sit near the cage and talk to them each day, and play them music, they love music. Each Day take your finger, if they have learned to trust your hand, and press gently on their stomach, just in front of the legs and see if they will finger perch.

It took me a few weeks to get 4 of my Parakeets to finger perch, but my last one I got 3 weeks ago fingered perched the same day, and is a very tamed bird. Take your time, keep your birds cage cleaned, seeds for them to eat, water to drink, and your birds will be our new best friend before you know it.

Comments on "Parakeet Toys and Hand Taming"

 

post a comment
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Carolina, United States

Parakeet Blog: BLOGGER